Free WAP Internet on the VX8300
NEW: Try the Hellaphone Wallpaper Maker to make free wallpapers for any cell phone.
Can't get enough of this blog? Well now you can read it on the toilet, on the train, and on top of the Eiffel tower, thanks to this tutorial on how to get free WAP internet on your VX8300.
The VX8300 has a great WAP browser, which beautifully displays many regular web pages, images and all. To take advantage of WAP internet, however, you must connect to what's called a proxy server. By default, your cell phone is programmed with Verizon's proxy server, which they will charge you to use. With a minor hack, though, you can change the phone to use any proxy you'd like, many of which can be found for free! Here are the steps for free* WAP internet on your VX8300...
*Note: Accessing WAP internet will cost minutes on your phone plan, but will not incur any further fees. With a free nights and weekends plan, this means absolutely free WAP on nights and weekends! Also note: This tutorial is slightly more advanced than the prior ones. It involved directly editing files on your phone's filesystem. If you feel uncomfortable with this, don't do it.
- Connect to your phone using BitPim.
- Click View > View Filesystem. This will add a filesystem link to the left pane. Click on it.
- Navigate to /OWS in your filesystem. Right click on paramtable1.fil and save it to your hard drive. Keep an unmodified backup copy of this file in case something goes wrong.
- Open your new copy of paramtable1.fil in a hex editor, such as the free XVI32. Change the third byte from "00" to "20". (Thanks to Rodstree for figuring this out.) Save the copy. (If you want to skip this step, here is a copy of the edited paramtable1.fil, that I've created for this site. It comes with no warantees.)
- Right click on paramtable1.fil back in BitPim. Overwrite it with your new modified version.
- Once the file is transferred, turn off and turn on your phone.
Previously the settings to change WAP gateways on your VX8300 were locked. You've just unlocked these options. Here's how to access them:
- Press OK to open the menu on your phone. Press 0, and then six more zeros to open the service menu.
- Press (8)WAP Setting.
- Under Proxy Address Setting and Proxy Port Setting, you'll find Primary and Secondary configurations. The Primary Address goes with the Primary Port, and likewise with the secondaries. Edit the Primary and Secondary settings with the gateways of your choice.
- Change the Homepage to http://google.com or another suitable WAP homepage.
- Voila! Access the Minibrowser. Free WAP!
OK, OK. I know what you're saying to yourself right now. "Just what proxy settings do I enter?" Well, if you're a very advanced computer user and you leave your computer on always, you can try setting up your own proxy with HoTTProxy. If you're more like me, and you're willing to face a little unreliability, you can try a free anonymous proxy, which can be found in long lists all over the net. You may need to try a few before you find a working one.
With internet access, you've added yet another comfort of your home to your cell phone. Why not go all the way and watch TV, movies, and videos on your VX8300?