Google
 
Web vx8300.blogspot.com
Feature: VX8300 Accessory Guide

Thursday, August 17, 2006

One Touch V-mail: Skip the Password

Inquisitive reader Richard writes in to ask, "Is it possible to create a one key fast dial contact to my voice mail ... include my password ... so I wouldn't have to enter it fresh each time I access my voice mail .. ?" Good question Richard, and thanks for writing in.

Yes, in fact, it appears that you can indeed access your messages on your VX8300 using a speed dial, bypassing that pesky password step. Here's how to do it:

  1. From the main screen, press OK twice to make a new contact.

  2. Name your contact something along the lines of Voicemail.

  3. In one of the phone number fields, enter your cell phone's 10-digit cell phone, and don't press SAVE. Instead press Options, choose (3)Add Pause, and (2)2-Sec Pause. Don't press save yet.

  4. Now enter your voicemail password and a pound sign (#).

  5. To add this contact as a speed dial, press Options again, and choose Speed Dial. Pick an unused Speed Dial number. Now, confirm and save.

  6. To listen to your voicemails without typing in your password, simply press and hold your new speed dial number.

The way this works is your speed dial calls your phone, which provides access to your voicemail. Your phone then waits for the password prompt with the 2-second pause, and automatically enters your password and a pound to confirm, just as if you entered it yourself. Remember to be careful with this method, as anybody with access to your VX8300 potentially has access to your voicemail password by looking through your contacts. If you haven't read it already, here's another article about adding shortcuts to make using your VX8300 even easier.

Addendum (8/18/05): If you'd prefer to use the speed dial "1" to call your voicemail without a password, see the anonymous comment below for instructions. Thanks for the contribution, and I encourage other people to write in with tips.

17 Comments:

Blogger Andy Moskowitz said...

Hm, strange, I guess I shouldn't have assumed that what works for me, works for everyone. Perhaps you're accessing a slightly different Verizon voicemail system. In any case, I'm glad you figured it out, and maybe your comment will help other people do the same.

I think the wait and two-second pause are typically used for calling business numbers with extensions. You know, as in, "Thank you for calling, enter the extension of the party you wish to reach."

My next tutorial will be on how to use the VX8300 to decrypt ancient hieroglyphic proto-languages.

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My 8300 has my voicemail number pre-programmed as #86 in speed dial #1.
Being lazy, I wanted my password in there, too. Here's how I did it:
From the main screen, press the left soft-key, "Message".
Now press the left soft-key again, this time it says "Settings".
At "1. All Msg", press OK.
Choose "4. Voice Mail #"
Follow the same steps as above to enter a '#', pause, and your password,
with a trailing '#'.
Press "SAVE" when you're done.
Now when you press speed dial #1, you'll get voicemail without having
to manually enter your password.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Andy Moskowitz said...

Thanks for the tip, anonymous contributor. I'll make an addition to the tutorial.

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I have been using the method described by Anonymous for many years, and it is great. You can do it with any phone, and for all kinds of purposes...
I have one suggestion. Instead of dialing *86, you should dial your own number. When you dial your own number the minutes that you using are coming from moble-to-moble and consequently are free, while *86 deeps into your regular minutes

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I have been using the method described by Anonymous for many years, and it is great. You can do it with any phone, and for all kinds of purposes...
I have one suggestion. Instead of dialing *86, you should dial your own number. When you dial your own number the minutes that you using are coming from moble-to-moble and consequently are free, while *86 deeps into your regular minutes

12:17 PM  
Blogger Andy Moskowitz said...

I'm pretty sure they've closed up this loophole and made calling your own number use minutes, although I could be wrong.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Coolhand said...

this blog is amazing! Thank you so much!

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this blog entry! I just got my VX8300 and love it! It's much clearer and less staticky than my old Audiovox CDM-9900. Nice flash wallpapers too. I just used the Vmail tip to setup speed dial direct into my VM and it worked great, just as you described. Very kewl. I'm off now to the rest of your blog to see what other kewl things I can do with this baby.

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip. I programed the speed dial method to check my voicemail with the pause and it works great. And yes, Verizon does charge you minutes to call your number to check voicemail instead of *86. I tried this last month and just got my bill and sure enough it counts as a minute.

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has anyone figured out a way to "hide" a contact's phone number -- in this case, hide my password? My VX6100 allowed me to do this.

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope this isn't redundant.
Here's how to change the default text mode that you use for entering txt messages and such.
go to messaging, then highlight voicemail --> press settings --> press select "all messages" --> now go to "entry mode" and there you go - you can make the "word aka T9" function the default instead of the standard "Abc"
Hope this helps.
I typed this from my phone useing Hopke.net as my proxy and the settings changed from this site.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shouldn't that Addendum date be 8/18/06 instead of 05?

3:10 PM  
Blogger Andy Moskowitz said...

Um. Ok. Yeah.

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, it's great to be able to set your phone to auto enter your password when you dial voicemail, but how do you deal with the "view now" function which occurs right when the missed call occurred and asks you to input your password. I know it's not a big inconvenience but I'm big on shortcuts..
Thanks,
Jonathan

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks!!! very helpful

4:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For Verizon users, I found that it works if I do the following to my voicemail speed dial (#1 on phone):

*86PPpasscode

The P would be the 2 sec pause. And passcode is obvious. Worked for me.

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*86PP#0000# works for me- try it!

BTW not my password & change 0000 to your passcode

7:14 PM  


I've enjoyed responding to your hundreds of comments, but I've finally decided to disable comment posting now that I've created a better alternative. Please use the VX8300 forums for any further questions, where they'll me answered by me, or any number of other helpful VX8300 users.

<< Home