Google
 
Web vx8300.blogspot.com
Feature: VX8300 Accessory Guide

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

How to Get the Pictures Off Your Phone

"How do I get the pictures off my phone?" I think this was probably the first question I asked the Verizon employee when faced with the prospect of upgrading to a VX8300. Since then, quite a few people have come to this site looking for the answer to the same question. I won't go into any lengthy tutorials here, but here's a list of methods to get the pictures off your phone, and onto your computer or uploaded onto the web:
  • With a microSD card: If you own a microSD card and a card reader, the easiest and cheapest way to get your pictures and videos onto your computer is simply copying them over from the my_pix and my_flix directories. See my article on picture organizers for an even easier way to use your card reader to do this.
  • Using BitPim: If you have either a Bluetooth dongle or a VX8300 USB cable, you can download pictures from your phone using BitPim (and you don't even need a memory card for this). Be forewarned that while Bluetooth is terrific for syncing contacts, calendar, and other text data, it is too slow to transfer more than the occasional picture.

  • The way Verizon wants you to do it: When I asked how to get pictures off the phone, they tried to push a $5 monthly minimum texting plan on me. Otherwise, send pictures is $0.25 each! If you want to pay these fees, you can send your pictures individually to your email address, or to Verizon's PixPlace, or to a third party upload site to retrieve later.
That's all for now, but I may be coming up with some other methods in the future. Can anyone suggest any other ways?

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you enlarge pics sent from computer to the LG via USB so its not half size when used for a wallpaper background

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife resizes her pictures using the Stretch/Skew feature in Paint. Also, if you're just going to use it for wallpaper, you can use the Stretch option when you set it as wallpaper.

I think that if you are stretching it to make it bigger, you're probably going to see some quality loss.

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blog. I'm just getting my feet wet with BitPim, so hopefully this is not a blond moment.

I am connecting to the VX8300 via a USB cable and BitPim. (The MicroSD card is on order.) Your post here says you do not need the MicroSD card to grab photos from the phone with BitPim, however when I connect it's not finding any images.

I am able to find the phonebook and ringtones, but when I check for images nothing is located. Is there something about the "save as" dialog I need to tweak?

4:11 PM  
Blogger Andy Moskowitz said...

Well I can only confirm that using Bluetooth, not the cable, but I assume it should be the same. Select all the choices when you download data from the phone and one of them should bring your pictures over.

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The memory card and reader arrived today, so I was able to move the pix stored in the phone to the memory card and grab them that way. Thank you for the great tricks and tips blog! Next project is to create a ringtone...

5:56 PM  
Blogger Ghengis said...

I drop my camera so often that I cracked the glass over the camera lens on the front. Does anyone know if you can replace that or know of somewhere you can get a tiny circular piece of glass that will fit?

The microSD card is great!

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still don't understand how to get the pics off the phone with only the USB and BitPim? Seems like you must have a memory card?

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can get your pics and videos if you don't have a memory card and just off the phone through BitPim through the filesystem, they're stored in the "brew" folder and there should be a number folder like "16452" and in that folder pictures are in the "mp" folder and videos are in the "mf" folder.

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can actually use a third party MMS server like www.thephonecam.com

Then you can send pics and vids to that site for free only using airtime to upload data.

The problem with this is that you cannot change the MMS server address in the menus like with older phones. The only way to change it is to use LG Downloader and change it that way.

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did a lot of research to avoid verizon's music essentials kit. In the end I ordered a usb flash drive that you insert the micro sd card into. It was very cheap. Sites like newegg.com and amazon carry them. I haven't gotten it yet so we'll see how it works.

12:57 PM  


I've enjoyed responding to your hundreds of comments, but I've finally decided to disable comment posting now that I've created a better alternative. Please use the VX8300 forums for any further questions, where they'll me answered by me, or any number of other helpful VX8300 users.

<< Home